Effective as of: October 30, 2016
By using our Services, you agree to the collection, use, and disclosure of your personal and other information as described in this Policy. If you do not agree to the terms of this Policy, please do not use any of our Services.
You acknowledge that this Policy is part of our Terms of Service, which is incorporated by reference, and by accessing or using our Services, you agree to be bound by the Terms of Service.
If you have any questions about our privacy practices, please refer to the end of this Policy for information about how to contact us.
A. What Information Do We Collect?
- Information You ProvideWe collect personal information from you when you choose to share it with us. This may include when you enroll as a customer of our Energy Services, visit one of our Sites or Apps, create an account or profile with us, sign up for newsletters or our email list, sign up to receive email or text message updates from us, participate in a survey or promotion, refer a friend to use our Services, post a rating or review, post comments or other content on our Sites or Apps, sign up to be a volunteer or host an event, apply for a job or internship, participate in any interactive forums or features that we offer through our Services, or otherwise contact or request information from us.The personal information we collect may include, but may not be limited to:
We may also receive certain information about you from a third party when you choose to link to us (such as through a social media network) based on your registration and privacy settings on those third party services. This information may include name, user name, demographic information, updated address or contact information, interests, and publicly-observed data, such as from social media and online activity
- Contact information, such as your name, address, email address, telephone or mobile number;
- Date of birth;
- Screen or user name and passcode for our Sites or Apps;
- Photograph, such as when you choose to create a profile avatar or engage in one of our social media campaigns;
- Demographic information;
- A credit/debit card number or other financial information if you enroll in one of our Energy Service, seek information regarding your eligibility for select products, or otherwise make a purchase from us; and
- Your Social Security number and other information needed to assess your credit worthiness and verify your identity.
- Information Collected From Other SourcesWe may obtain information about you from other sources, including from third party data suppliers, your local electric utility, and public databases. This information may include, but may not be limited to, contact information, demographic data, interests and purchasing behavior, and other navigation data, such as web sites visited and advertisements viewed or clicked on.
- Combination of InformationWe may combine the information we receive from and about you, including information you provide to us and information we automatically collect through our Sites or Apps, as well as information collected from other online or offline sources, or from third party sources. This Policy is in no way intended to restrict or limit our collection and use of personal or aggregate information.
- Tracking Options and California Do Not Track DisclosuresCertain parts of our Sites and Apps require cookies. You are free to set your browser or operating system settings to limit certain tracking or to decline cookies, but by doing so, you may not be able to use certain features on the Site or App or take full advantage of all of our offerings. Please refer to your Web browser’s or operating system’s website or “Help” section for more information on how to delete and/or disable your browser or operating system from receiving cookies or controlling your tracking preferences.Our system does not respond to web browser "do not track" signals. For more information or to “opt out” of certain collection practices, please review below:
- We use Google tools (including Google Analytics and Google Advertising) to collect and track user statistics and trends related to our Sites and Apps. To opt out of having your activities tracked through these tools please click here.
- On your mobile device, you may also adjust your privacy and advertising settings to control whether you want to receive more relevant advertising.
B. How Do We Use the Personal Information We Collect?
We may use the information we collect from and about you for any of the following purposes:
- to provide you with Energy Services, or other services, products, or information you request, and to process and complete such requests and any related transactions;
- to send you confirmations, updates, alerts, and support and administrative messages and otherwise facilitate your use of, and our administration and operation of, the Energy Services, including to notify you about important changes to the Services;
- to respond to your emails, submissions, questions, comments, and requests and to provide customer service;
- to use and disclose your credit/debit card and other financial information to process payments, prevent fraud, and determine your eligibility for select products and services;
- to request feedback and to otherwise contact you about your use of the Services;
- to perform analytics on our customer base to better understand how we can improve our Energy Services, and to provide you with customized Services content, targeted offers, and advertising, on the Sites or Apps, across other websites, apps, or media, via email, or to your address, based on the information you provide and the actions you take when using the Services, or other websites or apps;
- to send you email or direct mail, or otherwise provide you with information or services you request or that we think will be of interest to you from us or on behalf of our partners and affiliates, such as sending you information to keep you informed about various issues, events, resources, promotions, contests, discounts, products and services, or notifying and contacting you if you are a contest or sweepstakes entrant;
- to monitor and analyze Site or App usage and trends, and to personalize and improve the Services and our users’ experiences with the Services, such as providing content, or features that match your interests, and to increase the Site or App’s functionality and user friendliness;
- to develop new products or services and to conduct analysis to enhance current products and services;
- to contact you if other information is necessary under federal or state laws; and
- as otherwise described to you at the point of data collection.
C. What Personal Information Do We Share With Third Parties?
We may share or disclose the information we collect from and about you as follows:
- with your local electric utility to fulfill enrollment of the Energy Service;
- with our affiliates or subsidiary companies, some of which do not share the same brand name as us;
- with vendors, consultants, partner organizations and other service providers or volunteers that provide business, professional or technical support functions for us;
- to our partners, affiliates, and other third parties that may have offers of interest to you or that may assist others in providing offers of interest to you;
- to report required information to any state or federal licensing authority for the purposes of compliance with our requirements under the law;
- when you give us your consent to do so, including if we notify you through the Services, that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information;
- when we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorized or required to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to comply with the law or legal processes or respond to lawful requests, claims or legal authorities, including responding to lawful subpoenas, warrants, or court orders;
- when we believe in good faith that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to respond to claims or to protect the rights, property, or safety of CleanChoice Energy, our users, our employees, our volunteers, copyright owners, third parties or the public, including without limitation to protect such parties from fraudulent, abusive, inappropriate, or unlawful activity or use of our Services;
- as necessary if we believe that there has been a violation of this Policy, our Terms of Service, our other policies or agreements, or of our rights or the rights of any third party; and
- in connection with, or during negotiations of, any reorganization, formation of a new company, asset sale or transfer, financing or lending transaction or in any other situation where personal information may be disclosed or transferred as one of the assets of CleanChoice Energy.
Nothing herein is intended to restrict the sharing of aggregated or anonymized information, which may be shared with third parties without restriction.
D. What Information Can Third Parties Collect Directly?
Whenever you sign-up for and use the Energy Services, your utility company will collect certain information from you including property address and utility company account number. Collection of such information by your utility company is not governed by this Policy. The terms of your utility company’s privacy policies will apply.
E. What Steps Do We Take To Protect Your Information?
We take reasonable measures to safeguard the information we collect from and about our Energy Service customers and Site and App visitors. While we make every effort to help ensure the integrity and security of our network and systems, we cannot guarantee our security measures. To help protect the confidentiality of your information, you must keep your password and account information confidential and not disclose it to any other person. You are responsible for all uses of Services by any person using your password. Please advise us immediately if you believe your password has been misused.
F. Public Forums
Any information you may disclose on our Site or App, in blogs, message boards, chat rooms, groups, or on other public areas on the Site or App, or other third-party websites that the Site or App may link to, becomes public information. Please exercise caution when disclosing personal information in these public areas, as we are not responsible for the actions of any third parties with whom you share your information.
G. Online Petitions
If you sign an online petition that we provide, you understand that such petition is public information and that we may make the petition, your contact information, and any comments provided in connection therewith publicly available. In addition, we may provide such petitions or compilations thereof, including your comments, name, city, and state to national, state or local leaders, or to the press.
H. Links to Other Websites or Applications
I. Children's Privacy
Protecting children’s privacy is important to us. We do not direct the Site or App to, or knowingly collect information from, children under the age of 13. If we learn that personal information of persons less than 13 years-of-age has been collected through our Site or App, we will take the appropriate steps to delete this information. If you are a parent or guardian and discover that your child or a minor under the age of 13 has posted, submitted or otherwise communicated personal information to our Sites or Apps without your consent, then you may alert us at email@example.com so that we may take appropriate action to remove the minor’s information from our systems.
In accordance with California law, minors under the age of 18 residing in California may remove or request and obtain removal of content and information that they post on the Site or App. In order to remove or to request and obtain removal of such content and information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-218-0113. Users should be aware that removal of the content and information posted by a minor does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information posted on our Sites or Apps. CleanChoice Energy reserves the right, to the extent permitted by law, to anonymize the posted content or information, or to make it invisible to other users and the public, instead of removing or deleting the content or information.
J. Your California Privacy Rights
For California residents only. If you are a California resident and have provided your personal information to CleanChoice Energy, in accordance with California law, you may request information about our disclosures of certain categories of personal information to third parties or affiliated companies for their direct marketing purposes. To make such request, please send an email to email@example.com or contact us at the address below:
CleanChoice Energy Attn: California Privacy Rights 1055 Thomas Jefferson St. NW Suite 650 Washington, DC 20007
We reserve our right not to respond to requests submitted other than to the address specified above.
Non-affiliated third parties are independent from CleanChoice Energy and if you wish to receive information about your disclosure choices or stop communications from such third parties, you will need to contact those non-affiliated third parties directly.
K. What Choices Do You Have Regarding the Use of Your Information?
You may "opt out" of receiving text messages, promotional email updates, and newsletters from us by following the instructions provided in those messages. Please note that we may still send you other types of texts or emails (such as those concerning your use of our Energy Service), and may use your information as otherwise described in this Policy, even if you opt out of receiving promotional information.
You can also view or modify information stored with your user account by logging in to your account and accessing the Manage My Account page. Changes to information in your account does not affect information previously provided to others as set forth in this Policy.
L. Revisions to this Policy
Each time you use our Services, the current version of the Policy will apply. We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to change, modify, add, remove, or otherwise revise the provisions of this Policy at any time. We will alert you that changes have been made by indicating on the Policy the date it was last updated. Your continued use of the Services following the posting of changes to these terms means you accept these changes. If we change the Policy in a material way, we will provide appropriate notice to you.
If you have any questions about this Policy, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.