8 Ways to Stay Cool in Baltimore This Summer
Jul 7, 2022
Summer is here, and so is the heat in the Baltimore, Maryland area. Looking for ways to stay cool this summer? Check out these fun summer activities right in your backyard to help beat the heat:
1. Get out on the water. Take a tour of the harbor by kayak with Inner Harbor Kayak Tours, or try out a paddle boat or a solar-powered electric “pirate ship” with Living Classrooms! You can also join Canton Kayak Club and get access to 9 dock locations throughout the Baltimore area.
2. Spend a day at the aquarium. When the summer heat makes you want to stay indoors for the day, head to the National Aquarium for a fun indoor summer activity. After you’ve finished touring the aquarium, take a quick walk to the other side of the Inner Harbor and visit the Maryland Science Center to learn even more about the natural world.
3. Have a shady picnic in the park. Baltimore has several beautiful parks that make the perfect spot for a summer picnic under the trees. Scope out a spot within the 200 acres of Cylburn Arboretum, or set up your spread at Canton Waterfront Park and enjoy the views of the harbor and Fort McHenry.
4. Hit the bike trail. Take a ride down the Gwynns Falls Trail, which runs for 15 miles through 30 Baltimore neighborhoods all the way to the Inner Harbor. The 11-mile Jones Falls Trail offers a diverse mix of both urban and nature views of the local community. Both trails offer some shade to help keep you cool on your ride.
5. Check out one of the city’s amazing farmers markets. Every Sunday from 7am to 12pm, you can head down to the Baltimore Farmers Market and explore local farmers, vendors, and artisans underneath the shade of the Jones Falls Expressway. On Saturdays, check out Fells Point Farmers Market on the Harbor waterfront to stock up on some local summer produce.
6. Catch a free outdoor movie or concert. Since 2016, Baltimore City Recreation and Parks has hosted a free outdoor movie and concert series called Rhythms and Reels. Spend your summer evenings in various parks throughout the city watching a family-friendly movie or enjoying local music. Check out the summer schedule here!
7. Cool off with some local ice cream. With five locations throughout the Baltimore area, The Charmery is a local favorite. They support local farmers and producers and use real fruit and dairy from grass-fed cows. They also always have two plant-based flavors to help you reduce the environmental impact of your treat!
8. Enjoy some crabs at a local crab shack. What’s a Baltimore summer without crabs? After a long day filled with all the activities above, head over to a local favorite crab shack for a seafood dinner. If you’re near the Harbor, check out Locust Point Steamers, Captain James Crabhouse, or Bo Brooks Crabhouse for an authentic Baltimore crab experience and views of the Harbor.
These local activities are fun ways to beat the heat. Looking for ways you can keep your AC costs down this summer? By joining a nearby Community Solar farm, you can save on your electricity costs while supporting local solar energy. Find your local Community Solar farm and sign up today to save money and the planet!