What Are the Benefits of Clean Energy?
Aug 19, 2020
Many countries around the world have been making the transition to clean energy sources such as wind and solar to meet our energy needs. But what makes clean energy better than other fossil fuels and other energy sources? Here are some of the top benefits of clean energy:
1. No CO2 emissions. One of the most exciting benefits of clean energy from wind and solar sources is that it produces zero carbon emissions. By transitioning from fossil fuels to wind and solar energy, we can help reduce our emission levels and prevent the worst effects of climate change.
2. No air pollution. In addition to CO2, burning fossil fuels also emits dangerous pollutants into the air such as lead and soot. Clean energy can help reduce harmful air pollution—and environmental injustice—in communities across the country.
3. No methane. Methane is a harmful greenhouse gas that has more than 80 times the climate warming impact of CO2. Methane is emitted during the production of coal, oil, and gas, and it is the main component in natural gas. Choosing wind and solar energy instead of gas and other fossil fuels can help us reduce harmful methane emissions.
4. No oil spills or gas leaks. Clean energy from wind and solar sources doesn’t come with the risks of harmful oil spills, gas leaks, explosions, or other disasters that can result from fossil fuel production.
5. Less water use. Wind and solar energy use less than 2% of the amount of water required for the water-intensive production of coal, oil, and gas.
6. Fewer health problems. The production of fossil fuels can cause a number of health problems for workers and nearby communities, such as heart disease, respiratory illness, and even cancer.
7. Energy independence. Developing solar and wind farms in the U.S. can help us reduce our dependence on foreign oil and other fossil fuels.
8. Rapidly falling costs. The costs of wind and solar energy have continued to dramatically decrease in recent years, making clean energy more and more affordable and cost-effective.
9. It’s abundant and renewable. Clean energy from wind and solar sources is 100% renewable and very plentiful—in fact, solar energy is the most abundant energy source on the planet! Did you know that in a single hour, the sun provides the earth with enough energy to power the entire planet for a whole year?
10. It creates jobs. More than 3.3 million Americans already work in clean energy jobs. That number will continue to rise, as solar panel installer and wind turbine technician are currently the two fastest growing jobs in the country!
11. It can save you money! Some options for clean energy, such as rooftop solar or our Community Solar program, can save people money on their energy bills.
12. It can offer extra money to landowners. Farmers and other landowners can receive predictable long-term income by leasing their land to host solar farms.
13. It’s easy! Signing up for clean energy through CleanChoice Energy is a fast, simple way to reduce your carbon footprint. Choosing clean energy is one of the biggest impacts you can make in the fight against climate change. Sign up for 100% clean, renewable energy today!
Stay in the know
Learn about clean energy, climate tips, special offers, and more