How You Can Celebrate Plastic-Free July in 2023
Jul 1, 2023
What is Plastic-Free July?
This July, millions of people around the world are ditching plastic to celebrate #PlasticFreeJuly. Plastic not only pollutes our oceans and harms our wildlife—it also contributes to climate change. When plastic ends up in the ocean, it releases greenhouse gasses as it slowly breaks down. This means that reducing the amount of plastic you use is an impactful and important way you can help protect the environment.
Tips and Ideas to Celebrate Plastic-Free July
Looking for ways you can reduce your plastic use in celebration of Plastic-Free July? Here are some simple tips to help you live plastic-free this month (and beyond):
1. Ditch single-use plastic food bags and try reusable snack and sandwich bags. Many are dishwasher-safe and can even go in the freezer!
3. Bag your produce in reusable produce bags rather than the grocery store’s plastic produce bags. Check out these great options to get started.
4. Buy produce that’s not packaged in plastic. Choose whole, unpackaged produce rather than the pre-cut produce that comes in single-use plastic containers.
5. Buy groceries packaged in glass or aluminum rather than plastic. Avoid plastic containers when buying products such as condiments, salad dressings, pasta sauce, applesauce, and peanut butter.
6. Use reusable water bottles made of glass or stainless steel. Plastic-Free July is the perfect time to ditch single-use plastic water bottles for good (if you haven’t already). Set a goal of going the whole month without using a plastic water bottle! Try brands such as Swell or Klean Kanteen for high-quality reusable drinkware.
7. Bring reusable shopping bags every time you go grocery shopping. As many cities and states implement plastic bag taxes, reusable bags can also help you save money! Keep them in your car or by your front door to help yourself remember to bring them.
8. Recycle your collection of plastic bags. We all have at least a few plastic bags that have accumulated in our homes. Take them to a nearby drop-off location to ensure they’re recycled properly.
9. Don’t bag your recyclables! Putting your recyclables in a plastic garbage bag is not only a waste of plastic—it also makes the entire batch unrecyclable. Check out more important recycling tips and info in our Recycling 101 guide.
10. Use reusable coffee pods rather than single-use pods. Check out this year’s best reusable K-Cup pods to eliminate plastic waste with your morning cup of coffee.
11. Choose plastic-free tea brands. A surprising number of tea brands use plastic in their tea bags and packaging. Seek out tea brands that don’t use plastic, or try making loose leaf tea with a plastic-free tea infuser.
12. Bring a reusable coffee cup or lid with you when you get coffee to help make your cup of joe less wasteful.
14. Bring your own container for leftovers when you go out to eat. Try slipping a collapsible food container in your bag for a waste-free to-go box!
15. Buy plastic-free beauty products packaged in materials such as metal, glass, or bamboo. Try products from one of these 7 brands that have already gone plastic-free.
16. Use Blueland waste-free cleaning products. Blueland offers reusable glass spray bottles and cleaning solution tablets that dissolve in water for simple, cost-effective, and waste-free cleaning.
Reusable, plastic-free cleaning products from Blueland
17. Green your bathroom routine with plastic-free toothbrushes, razors, deodorant, or even toothpaste tablets and shampoo bars. You can also try Blueland’s new, first-of-its-kind body wash powder that turns into gel when mixed with water in their bottle that can be used forever—try out a new body wash scent like Waterlily Dew or Sandalwood Sage!
18. Shop at waste-free stores. Find your everyday items at online stores such as Package Free Shop or Zero Waste Store, or find a zero-waste grocery store location near you. You can also look into zero-waste delivery services such as The Rounds.
19. Order your ice cream in a cone instead of a cup. It’s a delicious way to reduce plastic waste!
20. Pick up litter and plastic waste at a nearby park or beach. One of the best ways you can celebrate Plastic-Free July is by helping to keep our precious natural lands clean and plastic-free.
21. Challenge yourself to look for plastic as you go about your life. Whether you look in your bathroom, inside your fridge, or at the grocery store, you’ll notice plastic is way more prevalent than you ever realized—which means there are endless opportunities to cut back!
Looking for more ways you can make a positive impact on the environment this summer? One of the easiest and most impactful ways you can help protect our planet is by choosing 100% clean, renewable energy from wind and solar for your home. Learn more about how you can sign up today in just 2 minutes to help create a better environment for future generations.
Stay in the know
Learn about clean energy, climate tips, special offers, and more