Aug 2, 2021
Did you know that the transportation sector is responsible for 29% of U.S. greenhouse gas emissions—many of which come from passenger cars? If you currently drive a traditional gasoline-powered car, switching to an electric car is one of the best ways you could reduce your personal impact on the environment. Here are some of the top reasons you should swap out your gas-powered car for a fully electric vehicle:
1. They are better for the environment. One of the main advantages of electric vehicles might seem obvious, but it’s far too important to overlook: the environmental benefits. Electric cars produce significantly fewer emissions than gas-powered cars. This can help reduce air pollution and mitigate climate change—especially for the most vulnerable communities who are disproportionately harmed by transportation emissions.
2. They’re just as safe—if not safer. Research has increasingly shown that electric vehicles are as safe as or safer than gasoline- and diesel-powered cars. In fact, the president of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) stated that “we can now say with confidence that making the U.S. fleet more environmentally friendly doesn’t require any compromises in terms of safety.”
3. They are cheaper and easier to maintain. With fewer parts, no engine, no oil, less brake wear, and parts that require little to no regular maintenance, electric cars have lower maintenance and repair costs than their gas-powered counterparts—saving their owners lots of time, money, and headaches!
4. You can receive rebates and tax credits. Electric vehicle purchases can qualify for federal tax credits of up to $7,500, and many cities and states offer additional financial incentives to choose an electric car. Check out this list of all the rebates, tax credits, and other programs offered in each state!
5. You can enjoy other perks. There are many benefits that exist to incentivize and reward electric car ownership. For instance, if you drive an EV, you can enjoy perks such as access to restricted highway lanes, reserved parking spots, and free or reduced tolls!
6. Upfront costs are falling. Electric cars often have a higher sticker price than gas-powered cars, but that could change within the next few years as electric car prices continue to drop. And, given that the lower fuel costs, lower maintenance and repair costs, and tax rebates can already lead to long-term savings for electric car owners, the falling purchase prices of electric cars will mean that making the switch could soon be a financial no-brainer.
7. You’ll no longer have to pump gas—or spend gas money. How nice would it be to no longer have to stand outside at a dirty gas station in the hot summer air, freezing cold, or pouring rain every few weeks? With an electric car, you can charge it overnight at your home (the same way you plug in your phone every night), and you’ll only need to stop and charge on a long road trip. Plus, you can save an average of about $1,000 each year on gas money!
8. More charging stations are popping up. One reason some people might be hesitant to switch to an electric car is the worry that there aren’t enough charging stations around. But the number of charging stations across the U.S. has consistently grown in recent years, and that number will only continue to rise as federal, state, and local governments invest more in charging infrastructure. Additionally, as more and more Americans become electric car owners, new resources such as smartphone apps have come about to help people find charging stations, even in the most remote parts of the country.
9. More options are becoming available. Whether you’re looking for a sedan, SUV, minivan, or even a pickup truck, there are already several great electric car options on the market—and the number of options will only increase in the coming years, as nearly every major car manufacturer in the U.S. has announced plans to ramp up the production of electric vehicles.
10. You’ll support the electric vehicle industry. By switching from a gas-powered to an electric car, you’ll support the growth of the EV industry and increase demand for electric cars—which will ultimately benefit us all!
Switching to an electric car is a great way to reduce your transportation emissions. Looking for more ways you can reduce your personal impact on the environment? Sign up to power your home with 100% clean, renewable energy today!