Happy Valentine’s Day from CleanChoice Energy! As you and your loved ones get ready to enjoy the holiday, here are some ideas for how you can celebrate sustainably:
- Give local flowers rather than roses. Check out this piece from our Director of Public and Community Relations, John Olivieri, on why roses and other non-local flowers are not the most eco-friendly option.
- Enjoy nature together—go for a hike together as an eco-friendly activity!
- Skip the florist, send a forest—give the gift of trees this Valentine’s Day!
- Take a trip to an off-grid rental home for an eco-friendly getaway.
- Give a plantable seed paper card that your loved one can plant, rather than a traditional paper card.
- Purchase eco-friendly candy brands such as YumEarth or Alter Eco rather than traditional candy brands.
- Give living plants as a gift rather than cut flowers. A potted plant or succulent will last a lot longer!
- Bake your own treats to save packaging.
- Use local ingredients if you’re cooking your own meal, such as locally grown produce.
- Enjoy a meatless meal together to reduce your carbon footprint. There are plenty of delicious meat-free dishes to choose over steak!
- Give the gifts of experiences rather than material goods. Treat your loved one to a massage, a cooking class, tickets to a play or concert, a painting class, a nice dinner, or a weekend trip.
- Avoid balloons, teddy bears, or other materials goods that will eventually end up polluting our oceans and landfills.
- Give your loved one an eco-friendly candle, made from materials such as beeswax or soy wax.
- Name a star after your loved one.
While all of these are great ways to reduce your impact on the environment this Valentine’s Day, one of the best ways you can reduce your footprint is by making the switch to 100% clean, renewable energy. Give yourself and your loved ones the gift of a cleaner planet!