17 Sustainable Swaps You Can Make for an Eco-Friendly Home
Jul 15, 2021
Looking for ways you can reduce your impact on the environment? There’s no better place to start your sustainability journey than right in your own home. Here are 17 swaps you can make throughout your home to make your home more environmentally friendly:
1. LED light bulbs. Did you know LEDs use at least 75% less energy and last 25 times longer than incandescents? Simply swapping out your incandescent bulbs for LED bulbs can help you save a ton of energy—and money—over time.
2. A smart thermostat. By allowing you to adjust the temperature from your smartphone and automatically self-adjusting based on the current weather, smart thermostats can help keep you comfortable when you’re home and save energy when you aren’t.
3. A low-flow shower head. By switching out your shower head for a low-flow version, you can significantly reduce your home’s water and energy consumption. Check out the best low-flow shower heads of 2021!
4. Energy Star appliances. Increase your home's energy efficiency by upgrading to an Energy Star-certified dishwasher, refrigerator, or dryer. Check out energystar.gov to find products and rebates.
5. Solar-powered or LED outdoor lighting. Whether you have a patio, balcony, or backyard, make sure your outdoor space is lit up with eco-friendly lighting. Switch to solar-powered or LED string lights, lanterns, or pathway lights.
6. A gas-free lawn mower. Gas-powered lawn mowers have a surprisingly big impact on the environment. If you have a yard, swap out your gas mower for a reel, manual, or electric lawn mower—all of which are much quieter than gas mowers and don’t release harmful emissions!
7. An electric stove. Did you know that gas stoves are harmful to both our health and the environment? Many cities have even begun to transition away from gas-powered buildings and “electrify everything” to safeguard our health and our planet. Replacing your gas stove with an electric stove is a key way to reduce air pollution.
8. Wool dryer balls. Replace your single-use dryer sheets with reusable wool dryer balls to reduce waste—while also reducing drying time! Check out the best wool dryer balls of 2021.
9. Blueland plastic-free cleaning products. Blueland offers reusable spray bottles and cleaning solution tablets that dissolve in water for a simple, cost-effective, and waste-free alternative to plastic cleaning bottles!
10. Reusable “paper” towels. To help save trees and reduce waste, try one of the many reusable alternatives to paper towels and napkins. You may never need to buy real paper towels again! Check out the best paper towel alternatives of 2021.
12. Reusable sandwich and snack bags. These days, there are so many alternatives to single-use plastic bags—many of which are dishwasher-safe and can even go in the freezer! Try Stasher bags or any of these other reusable bags.
13. Beeswax wrap. A great alternative to plastic wrap or plastic sandwich bags, beeswax wrap is perfect for wrapping sandwiches or covering containers. Try Bee’s Wrap or these other beeswax wrap brands.
14. Reusable makeup removing cloths or rounds. Replace single-use disposable wipes or cotton balls with reusable, machine washable alternatives—many of which are even more effective than single-use wipes! Here are 9 alternatives to try.
15. Reusable cotton swabs. Made from silicone, bamboo, or even stainless steel, reusable cotton swabs are a great way to reduce waste from traditional cotton swabs.
16. Toothpaste tablets. You may have never thought about it, but every tube of toothpaste you’ve ever used is now sitting in a landfill. Luckily, there are many zero-waste, plastic-free alternatives to traditional toothpaste tubes! Check out the best toothpaste tabs of 2021.
17. A compost bin. Rather than putting your food waste in the trashcan or the garbage disposal, try putting it in a compost bin. Composting is a great way to keep food waste out of landfills, where it releases harmful methane gas. Make sure to read our blog post for home composting tips, and check out the best countertop compost bins or electric composters!
Once you make these sustainable swaps throughout your home, make sure your home is powered by 100% clean, renewable energy. Sign up for 100% wind and solar energy today!
Stay in the know
Learn about clean energy, climate tips, special offers, and more