How to Green Your Outdoor Oasis
Jun 15, 2021
Summertime is the perfect time to create your dream outdoor space on your porch, patio, or deck. Here are some tips for making sure your outdoor oasis is earth-friendly:
2. Deck out your space with earth-friendly furniture, made from recycled or sustainably sourced materials. Check out these sustainable outdoor furniture brands!
3. Buy second-hand furniture from a thrift store or online marketplace, and upcycle old items for your outdoor decor rather than buying everything brand new. Check out our Pinterest for some inspiration!
4. Cover your furniture at night and when it’s raining, or bring your cushions inside. This can help your furniture last much longer, so you won’t have to ditch it after just one summer season. Regularly cleaning your outdoor furniture can also help it look great for years to come.
5. Repair, reupholster, or re-cover your outdoor furniture and cushions instead of buying new furniture. You can also make DIY decorative covers for your stained or faded outdoor cushions.
6. Decorate your space naturally with lots of plants, flowers, and trees, whether they are in the ground or in planters. Plants that are pollinator-friendly or native to your area are some of the most eco-friendly options.
7. Plant and grow your own fruits and vegetables in your garden or in potted planters. Growing your own food is a fun and rewarding way to reduce the environmental impact of your meals!
8. Use eco-friendly bug repellents such as natural sprays, citronella candles made from soy wax, and even incense sticks. Check out these natural, deet-free repellents!
9. Keep things cool with a canopy, umbrella, curtains, awnings, or fans—that way, you can spend more time outside and save energy by keeping your AC lower inside.
10. Follow our environmentally friendly landscaping tips to make sure your yard, garden, and plants are all good for the earth. Read our blog post to learn more!
Once you’ve greened your outdoor oasis this summer, celebrate by enjoying some of these plant-based recipes that are perfect for summertime!
Looking for even more ways to go green? Sign up for 100% clean, renewable energy today!
Stay in the know
Learn about clean energy, climate tips, special offers, and more