How to Go Plastic-Free in 2023
Jan 25, 2023
Did you know that plastic not only pollutes our oceans—it also contributes to climate change? This year, live plastic-free by reducing your plastic use with these tips:
1. Ditch single-use plastic food bags and try reusable snack and sandwich bags. Many are dishwasher-safe and can even go in the freezer!
3. Bring reusable shopping bags every time you go grocery shopping. As many cities and states implement plastic bag taxes, reusable bags can also help you save money!Keep them in your car or by your front door to help yourself remember to bring them.
4. Bag your produce in reusable produce bags—or even no bag at all. Grocery stores’ plastic produce bags are one of the easiest plastic items to cut out of your life. Check out these great options for reusable produce bags to get started.
5. Buy produce that’s not packaged in plastic. Choose whole, unpackaged produce rather than pre-cut produce in plastic containers to cut out unnecessary plastic waste.
6. Buy groceries packaged in glass or aluminum rather than plastic. Avoid plastic containers when buying products such as condiments, salad dressings, pasta sauce, applesauce, and peanut butter.
7. Don’t bag your recyclables! Putting your recyclables in a plastic garbage bag is not only a waste of plastic—it also makes the entire batch unrecyclable. Check out more important recycling tips and info in our Recycling 101 guide.
8. Use reusable water bottles made of glass or stainless steel. Now is the time to ditch plastic water bottles for good (if you haven’t already). Try brands such as Swell or Klean Kanteen for high-quality reusable drinkware.
9. Use reusable coffee pods rather than single-use pods. Reduce waste each morning with one of these reusable pods.
10. Bring a reusable coffee cup or lid with you when you get coffee to help make your cup of joe less wasteful.
13. Use Blueland waste-free cleaning and personal care products. Blueland's reusable bottles and dissolvable tablets have helped to divert more than one billion single-use plastic bottles from landfills and oceans. Their new, first-of-its-kind body wash powder turns into gel when mixed with water in their bottle that can be used forever—try out a new body wash scent like Waterlily Dew, Raspberry Hibiscus, or Sandalwood Sage!
14. Shop at waste-free stores. Try online storessuch as Package Free Shop or Zero Waste Store, or find a zero-waste grocery store near you to stock up on your everyday essentials without any plastic waste.
15. Challenge yourself to look for plastic as you go about your life. Whether you look in your bathroom, inside your fridge, or at the grocery store, you’ll notice plastic is way more prevalent than you ever realized—which means there are endless opportunities to cut back!
Reducing the amount of plastic you use is a great way you can help protect our planet. Looking for more ways you can make a positive impact on the environment? One of the easiest and most impactful ways you can help our planet is by choosing 100% clean, renewable energy from wind and solar for your home. Learn more about how you can sign up today and help create a better environment for future generations.
Stay in the know
Learn about clean energy, climate tips, special offers, and more