Aug 12, 2020
Water is a vital resource that’s not only important for our own health, but also for the health of our planet—so it’s essential that we do everything we can to protect it. Here are 9 ways you can help keep our water clean, safe, healthy, and abundant for all:
1. Use clean, plant-based, and non-toxic cleaning products made without harmful chemicals. Many traditional cleaning products are made with toxic chemicals that can harm our water. Look for plant-based cleaning brands such as Seventh Generation, or make your own cleaning products with simple ingredients such as baking soda and vinegar.
2. Take care of your car. Good maintenance can reduce the leaking of oil or antifreeze, which can be carried into storm drains and eventually enter our water supply. You should also take your car to a professional car wash rather than washing it yourself—they must properly dispose of the water, rather than letting it run into the street.
3. Follow our water-friendly and earth-friendly landscaping tips, such as using a rain barrel, avoiding certain pesticides, and choosing sustainable lawn alternatives. Check out our blog post for all the tips!
4. Eat foods that are organic and plant-based. Organic food keeps harmful pesticides from getting into our water supply, and plant-based food often requires significantly less water to produce. Check out our blog post to learn more about all the environmental benefits of plant-based eating!
5. Properly dispose of hazardous chemicals such as motor oil, paint, and even medications. Take them to a hazardous waste center or other local collection site if possible, and never pour them into the street, storm drain, sink, or toilet.
6. Pick up after your pet! Pet waste contains harmful bacteria that can contaminate our water supply if it’s not picked up.
7. Buy products that are made from recycled plastic or ocean waste, or products that help remove plastic from our oceans such as 4ocean bracelets. Check out this list of products such as beach towels, sneakers, and even sunglasses made from recycled ocean waste. Help keep our beaches and oceans clean and free of plastic!
8. Ditch plastic altogether. Not only does plastic litter our beaches and waterways, it is also made from fossil fuels such as crude oil and natural gas that can harm our water. Luckily, there are so many ways you can cut back on—or even completely eliminate—plastic in your life. When you simply can’t avoid using plastic, make sure you properly recycle it. Check out our Recycling 101 guide for helpful tips!
9. Choose clean energy! Renewable energy from wind and solar sources uses little water to produce and helps prevent many of the threats facing our water, including global warming, oil spills, and chemical contamination. Sign up for 100% clean, renewable energy through CleanChoice Energy today!