How You Can Love the Earth
Feb 6, 2023
February 14 is not only a great day to show love to your loved ones—it’s also an opportunity to take action to show your love and appreciation for the Earth. This Valentine’s Day (and every other day of the year), show love to our planet with these earth-friendly actions:
1. Reduce your energy usage. Using less energy is one of the most impactful ways you can help combat climate change and protect our planet. Check out our blog post with tips to help you save energy in your home.
2. Plant trees. Trees help absorb harmful carbon from the atmosphere and provide habitat to much of the world's biodiversity. Plant trees yourself in your yard, or plant them through an organization such as Arbor Day Foundation!
3. Donate to environmental organizations. Consider supporting any of these amazing organizations that work tirelessly to protect our planet.
4. Use your voice to advocate for the environment. Urge your elected officials to support legislation and other measures that will help protect our planet, and sign petitions on platforms such as Care2 or Civic Shout to support various efforts to help the environment.
5. Start composting. Composting is a great way to enrich soil while keeping food waste out of landfills, where it takes up space and releases harmful methane gas. Check out our blog post for tips to help you get started—even if you live in an apartment!
6. Recycle more—and better. Recycling is an important way to reduce waste, but it’s only effective if you do it correctly. Check out our Recycling 101 guide for tips!
7. Eat more plant-based foods. Eating a plant-based diet can have significant positive impacts on the environment. Try enjoying a meatless meal on Valentine’s Day to make your celebration more eco-friendly.
8. Support businesses that care about the environment and take actions such as using renewable energy. Check out our blog post to learn about some of the most environmentally conscious brands.
10. Try upcycling clothes, furniture, or decor, rather than buying brand new or wasting any materials. Check out these creative ideas!
11. Use less plastic. Avoid using single-use plastics such as plastic grocery bags, water bottles, utensils, or snack bags. Try going the whole month of January without using any single-use plastics! Check out these tips to help you get started.
12. Use less water. It takes a surprising amount of energy to pump, heat, treat, and move water. Simple steps such as turning the faucet off when brushing your teeth, taking shorter showers, or installing a low-flow shower head can add up and save a lot of energy.
13. Go paperless. Sign up for paperless billing and statements, switch to digital copies of newspapers and magazines, or try reusable alternatives to paper towels and napkins to help save trees.
14. Reduce your transportation footprint by walking or biking instead of driving, taking public transportation, switching to an electric car, opting for virtual meetings and events, or simply driving less in general.
15. Reduce the amount of food you waste. Food waste is a serious environmental issue. Be more diligent about cooking, food shopping, and eating leftovers to cut back the amount of food you throw away.
18. Be more diligent about your eco-friendly habits at home, such as turning off the lights when you leave a room, hanging your laundry to dry instead of using the dryer, and managing your thermostat wisely to conserve energy.
19. Spend time volunteering for the planet by planting trees or cleaning up a local park, trail, or beach.
20. Take time to step away from your screens and spend time outside. Save energy and enjoy the outdoors!
21. Choose clean energy. One of the best ways you can show love to our planet is by choosing 100% clean, renewable energy from wind and solar sources for your home. It’s one of the easiest and most impactful ways you can help protect our planet for years to come. Learn more about how you can sign up today and help create a better environment for future generations!
Stay in the know
Learn about clean energy, climate tips, special offers, and more